Throughout time, the spider has been associated with many superstitions. Seeing a spider is usually a lucky sign. In England it indicates money. Consequently, if a spider is found in an inappropriate place, such as on a table or running over your clothing, it is picked up and taken to a more appropriate place. If the spider dies during this process, all the money will be lost. Conversely, money will be gained if the spider survives.
The tradition of associating spiders with money dates from Roman times when people wore spider amulets to attract success in business. Small spiders are frequently called “money spiders,” and it’s considered extremely bad luck to kill one. Spiders have always been welcome in people’s homes, as they catch flies in their webs, which helps to prevent disease. An old rhyme says, “If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.” Spiders also provide protection, and there are many legends to support this. One from the Christian tradition says that Jesus, Joseph, and Mary were hiding from Herod’s soldiers in a cave. A spider spun a web at the entrance and the soldiers did not bother to search inside, as they assumed no one had entered it for some time.
Here are some of the superstitions I have gathered from the “Web” for your enjoyment and enlightenment!!
When a man fyndeth a spyder upon his gowne it is a synge to be that daye ryght happye.
If a spinner creepe uppon him, hee shall have golde raine downe from heaven.
When a Spider is found upon our clothes, we use to say. Some money is coming towards us. The Moral is this, such who…. Imitate the industry of that contemptible creature… may by God’s blessing weave themselves into wealth and procure a plentiful estate.
Others have thought themselves secure of receiving Money, if … by chance, a little Spider fell upon their Cloaths.
Small spiders termed Money-Sinners are held by many to prognosticate good luck if they are not destroyed or injured or removed from the person on whome they are first observed.
A spider descending upon you from the roof is a token that you will soon have legacy from a friend.
If a big black spider comes into the house it is a sure sign of death
Modern spider superstitions
- When spiders are many and spinning their webs, the spell will soon be very dry
- An old saying about grass spiders: when there is dew on their webs in the lawn in the morning, it will be a beautiful day.
- When spiders spin their webs ‘fore noon, Sunny weather’s coming soon.
- If you step on a spider, you’ll bring on rain.
- All spiders except tarantulas are omens of good luck. The larger the spider, the bigger the rewards.
- If you see a spider climbing the wall you will have your dearest wish come true.
Are spiders a sign of good luck?
In many cultures around the world, spiders are a sign of good luck. Especially the image of a spider dangling from its web is seen as a symbol of luck and joy coming down from heaven. In addition to luck, spiders are a symbol for happiness, creativity and wealth in many cultures around the world. Many of these old spider superstitions teach us not to kill spiders – letting them live and thrive will bring us luck while killing spiders will bring bad luck upon us.
- Seeing a spider run across a wall is another sign of good luck.
- If you see a spider spinning a web you will have an increase in your income due to hard work.
- If a spider crawls into your pocket, you will always have money.
- If a spider hangs over your head, you will get a letter.
- If you want to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.
- If a spider builds its web across your door, you can expect company.
- If you walk into a spider web, you will meet a friend that day.
- Kill a spider, bad luck yours will be.
- Until of flies you’ve swatted fifty-three.
- If you dream of killing a spider you will soon lose money or something precious.
- Superstitious people probably don’t kill spiders because it has been unlucky since a spider spun a web over baby Jesus to hide him from Herod.
- A spider with syrup cures fever.
- Seeing a spider run down a web in the afternoon means you’ll take a trip.
- A spider is a repellent against plague when worn around the neck in a walnut shell.
- Seen running over clothes – a new set of clothes.
- Finding a spider in the morning – Sorrow
- Finding a spider at midday – Anxiety.
- A spider in the afternoon is a sign of a gift; But a spider in the evening will all hopes uplift.
- If you find a money spider and don’t kill it, you’ll gain loads of money.
- Finding a Spider on the Wedding Day is an Omen of Good luck!
- If a spider drops down in front of you from the ceiling and dangles, do not kill it. If the spider hangs and then goes back up to the ceiling, you are due for a run of good luck. If, however, the spider dangles and then drops, it foretells the sudden loss of a loved one or some other personally catastrophic event.